Copperas Cove High School AVID
What is AVID?
AVID College Readiness System is an academic regularly scheduled elective class during the school day. The curriculum is based on writing and critical thinking and reading, inquiry, and collaborative learning strategies.
The three main components are:
- Academic Instruction
- Tutorial Support
- College Readiness
AVID is offered in grades 9-12 and is a four-year commitment.
The AVID Mission Statement
AVID’s mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
- To succeed in rigorous curriculum
- To complete a rigorous college prepatory path
- To enter mainstream activities of the school
- To increase their enrollment in four-year colleges
- To become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society
AVID’s systemic approach is designed to support students and educators as they increase schoolwide/districtwide learning and performance
What AVID is:
- An acronym that stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination
- An in-school academic support program for grades 9-12 that prepares students for college and eligibility and success
- For all students, but targets those in the academic middle
- Implemented school wide
What AVID isn’t:
- A remedial program
- A free ride
- A school with a school
- A quick fix
Who is an AVID student?
AVID students are in the middle capable of completing a college preparatory path with support. These students often are not realizing their full potential academically. In the identification process a number of criteria are considered, including:
- Desire and Determination
- First in family to attend college
- Historically underrepresented in 4-year colleges
- Economically disadvantaged
- Other special circumstances
While all of the criteria are considered for acceptance into AVID, no single criteria will necessarily eliminate a student from consideration. The AVID College Readiness System should reflect the demographics of the school it is serving.
Once selected for AVID, what are the student requirements?
AVID students must:
- Attend their AVID elective class
- Enroll in one or more advanced classes
- Maintain satisfactory citizenship and attendance
- Maintain the AVID binder with assignment/grade record sheets and daily notes in all classes
- Complete all homework assignments and commit to studying every night
If you have any questions about AVID, please contact Bridgette Gatzert-Assessment & Accountability Coordinator/CCISD AVID District Director